- We want the name of Christ to be proclaimed through filmmaking with the greatest level of excellence possible. Improved mastery of this craft can be achieved through the use of a strict deadline and parameters.
- We desire that the Christ-honoring friendships formed among the Christian film community be fostered through regular intervals of working together. A low-budget, friendly competition is an excellent place for this to happen.
- A film’s Producer or Director will be considered the Team Leader, to be determined by each team.
- Teams may be of any size, and located anywhere around the world.
- No person may be on more than one team.
- All team members must be volunteers. Food, lodging, travel expenses, and individual registration fees may be covered by the team/Team Leader, but no additional reimbursement may be given or promised.
- All people with creditable positions are counted as team members, including all cast, crew and extras.
- Teams will choose a team name.
- Each team will submit no more than one film.
- Registration fees:
- (Flat Rate)
- $100 Early, $150 Regular, $200 Late/Team
- Early Registration opens on Thursday, October 24, 2019, and ends Monday, November 11, 2019
- Regular Registration begins on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 and ends Monday, December 9, 2019
- Late Registration begins on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 and closes on Monday, December 30, 2019
- Registrations are non-refundable
- A Pre-Roll Slate Template will be available for download upon registration.
Before Event Start:
- Selecting crew
- Selecting cast
- Brainstorming story ideas
- Planning shoot days
- Scouting locations and procuring location agreements
- Creating/procuring assets
- Sound effects
- Musical works
- Pre-keyed visual effects elements
- Motion graphics templates/logos
- Writing scripts
- Shooting footage (outside of visual effects elements listed above)
During the Race:
- The competition begins Friday, January 3, 2020 at 8:00pm EST.
- Registrants will receive an email with a link to the Announcement Livestream and the Livestream start time.
- The end of the Livestream marks the beginning of the 48-hour time period.
- Announcement of this year’s 3 required elements takes place during this Livestream.
- At the time of the Livestream Announcement, an email will go out containing the information from the Livestream.
- Teams will have until 11pm EST on January 5th to write, film, edit, and finish their films.
- Finalists will be announced at the end of January 2020, with Team Leaders from the selected films receiving a notification on that date.
- The finalists will be screened at the 2020 Christian Worldview Film Festival, with the competition winner being announced at the same event.
Sunday Resting Period:
- On Sunday, January 5th there will be three hours where all teams will be asked to pause production and rest.
- The goal of this time of rest is to show Christ’s preeminence above our filmmaking careers and give filmmakers a chance to remember the reason behind why we make our films. The film race will also provide devotional material based on the mystery theme Bible verse to help enrich this time of reflection and worship.
- The exact timing of this rest is undesignated so all filmmakers have the chance to attend their regular worship services.
- Three elements/restrictions required for each film will be revealed at the event start:
- Theme Verse
- Films are not allowed to quote the verse, but stories should be clearly centered around the theme.
- Each film must include the text “Based upon _______ (theme verse reference)” in the film’s credits, in a manner chosen by the filmmakers. The entire verse’s text may be included with the reference, but is not required.
- The goal is not just to mention Scripture, but to make each story fully centered around the truth of God’s Word.
- Mystery Filmmaking Element/Restriction
- One specific element of filmmaking (type of shot, technique, etc.) will either be required or prohibited.
- The goal of this requirement is to stretch filmmakers creatively and encourage greater technical excellence without the use of specialized equipment.
- Mystery Story Requirement/Restriction
- One specific element in the writing of the script (scene requirement, dialogue restriction, etc.) will either be required or prohibited.
- The goal of this restriction is to improve filmmakers’ storytelling skills without increasing the budget or complexity of the production.
- All films must be 3-7 minutes in length (calculated from the first black frame after slate to the first black frame after credits).
- Runtimes longer or shorter than the time requirement will result in automatic disqualification.
- All films must begin immediately with a 5-second slate containing the following information (using the provided template):
- 2020 Christian Worldview Film Festival 48-Hour Film Race
- Team Name
- Team Leader Name
- Film Title
- Film Runtime
- There must be one second of black following the slate before any sound or image
- Initial upload YouTube videos and final submission files must be named in the format “[Name of your Film] – [Team Name]” (as an example, Post It On My Heart – Fellowship of the Film). Please do not include anything else in the file names.
- Uploads must be initiated before the end deadline to YouTube as an unlisted video.
After the Race:
- Within 3 days of competition end, each film must be submitted via the CWVFF Dropbox (link to be provided in event end email)
- Files required for upload:
- Rendered export of finished film 1080p at 10mbps
- Crop overlays are acceptable, but all files must be exported at 1920×1080 pixels
- Proof of Licensing/Public Domain status for all music, or proof of permission for use of original works. Acceptable forms of proof are:
- License documents from Royalty Free sources
- Documentation of Public Domain status for songs
- Signed copy of composer contract
- Screenshot of email giving music use permission to filmmakers
- 2-3 (1920X1080 pixel dimensions) screenshots of their Film for use if the Film becomes an official selection. The screenshots are to be uploaded with the Film. Please name your files “[Name of your Film] Picture 1” and “[Name of your Film] Picture 2” and so forth.
- 2 film clips that are 15 seconds each for the awards ceremony (if you are a finalist) and for promotional purposes. The first clip should represent the thrust of your film (for the awards ceremony) and the second clip should be one of the most visually compelling or notable scenes in your film (for promotional purposes). Please name your files “[Name Of Your Film] Clip 1” and “[Name Of Your Film] Clip 2”.
- Rendered export of finished film 1080p at 10mbps
- Each team must also complete the provided online form (link included in event open and end emails) with the following information: name of the film, a description of the film, and tagline.
- Final Dropbox uploads must precisely match initial YouTube uploads.
- Any film which fails to be uploaded to the CWVFF Dropbox with all required files will be disqualified.
- Films will be judged with the same considerations of technical excellence and worldview as used in judging Short Film submissions to the Christian Worldview Film Festival, with these and other additional considerations:
- Utilization of theme from Theme Verse
- Excellence in utilizing Mystery Filmmaking Element/working within Mystery Filmmaking Restriction
- Excellence in utilizing Mystery Story Element/working within Mystery Story Restriction
- Films selected for festival screening cannot be released to the general public until after the end of the 2020 CWVFF (March 20, 2020). Premature release of films will result in disqaulification.
- Sharing of film files between team members before the 2020 CWVFF is acceptable.