2017 “Honor Your Father” Film Competition
2017 “Honor Your Father” Film Submission Guidelines
- Registration for film submissions open on December 9th, 2016.
- Film submission deadline is January 30, 2017. Films must be submitted via digital download by this date.
- Film submission fees are $25 (per film)
- The LATE film submission deadline is February 6, 2017 with a fee of $50 (per film)
- Films should be about 1-3 minutes in length.
- First Place will receive $5000.
- Second Place will receive $2500.
- Third Place will receive $1500.
- Fourth Place will receive $1000.
- At least 10 finalists will have their short films showcased at the 2017 Christian Worldview Film Festival and be used in the annual “Honor Your Father” campaign, which is organized by the Fatherhood CoMission
- We strongly encourage you to attend the 2017 Christian Worldview Film Festival and Filmmakers Guild held in San Antonio, March 13-18, 2017.
- Awards for this contest will be presented during the CWVFF awards ceremony on March 18th, 2017.
Table of Contents:
- Section I: The Heart of the Competition
- Section II: Competition Objective
- Section III: Rules and Regulations
- Section IV: Technical Submission Guidelines
Section I: The Heart of the CompetitionThe Fatherhood CoMission exists to champion fatherhood.
“One of the best things we can do for dads today is to encourage them to honor their dads. Honor Your Father is a recurring command in the scriptures. (Exodus 20:12 / Ephesians 6:1-4) It was not just given to children, but as part of the 10 commandments, it was a command to adults as well. This was the first command that came with a promise. The reward of honoring your parents – a good life and a long life. Fathers that want to be honored should consider doing two things: live a life worth honoring and secondly honor their own fathers (you reap what you sow).
We want to challenge all people to honor their Heavenly Father this year by asking how they can honor their own earthly father. We honor our fathers by valuing them, taking seriously their counsel, walking in wisdom, living honorable lives, and speaking well of them. We can honor our fathers by thanking them, praising them publicly, pointing out their strengths and successes, serving their needs, and expressing Thanksgiving to God for them.
Even if Dads are absent, imperfect or disconnected, when their children follow this overlooked commandment it can lead to forgiveness, freedom from the clutter of resentment, anger and bad behavior in their hearts. When men begin to experience healing from “Daddy wounds”- resentment, anger and malice: they are often freed and empowered to lead their homes, marriages, churches, communities and the entire world. Imagine the national and global impact if every fathering/family organization, church, pastor were preaching the same message this Father’s Day – “Honor Your Father”? HYF is Simple, Scriptural and Relevant way to help Dads and those they impact.”
-Stephen Kendrick, Fatherhood CoMission Board Member/Film Producer
Section II: Competition ObjectiveThe goal of this competition is to create a compelling short film that will capture the attention of viewers and champion fatherhood. For many years T.V., movies, and other forms of media have portrayed fathers in a disparaging manner and as a target of ridicule. The unfortunate consequence has been that fathers are seen in a skewed perspective that strips them of the honor that they are due. Fathers often do not rise to the challenge of being honorable leaders of their households because they have been raised in a culture that does not place value on the vital role they play in the lives of their children.We want your help to reverse that trend.
The Fatherhood CoMission’s effort to promote fatherhood and honoring fathers is one way to counter that stigma. The Christian Worldview Film Festival has teamed up with the Fatherhood CoMission to host this short film competition to harness the power of film to promote a Biblical perspective of fatherhood.
So how will you do that? We want to encourage you to be creative and skillfully craft an inspiring short film that will make people laugh, or cry, or ponder, or any other response that results in demonstrating honor to fathers. It should be the kind of film that people will want to share on social media. It should be a film that could be played in churches across the country leading up to Father’s Day.
Some Helpful Hints
Think this through for yourself and consider collaborating with others if you need help with ideas. Consider showing the heroic and sacrificial side of fatherhood. This could be done through a short biography of a father (present or in history). You might want to consider a creative use of statistics or studies on fatherhood or fatherlessness http://www.fathers.com/statistics-and-research/the-consequences-of-fatherlessness/ to bring awareness to the potential positive impact of fathers when they are present and the often negative impact when they are absent. You might craft a compelling explainer video, or short documentary, or a news piece.
You may want to use humor, which can be very powerful and effective if handled with wisdom. Be sure not to fall into the trap of making fun of dads and portraying them as buffoons and idiots. This is often the standard fair in today’s comedy genre and there are dad’s who may match those caricatures, but we want you to help turn the tide and be a champion for fatherhood. These are just a handful of helpful hints but don’t be confined by these ideas, pray for wisdom and ask God to help you in this endeavor.
Watch some of the previous year’s official selections and award winners to see what has been done already and take notes. Then find a new direction that is fresh and unique! http://www.honoryourfathertoday.com/videos
Section III: Rules and Regulations
- Films must be completed after October 1, 2015, to be eligible for this competition.
- It is the sole responsibility of the Filmmaker to secure authorization and permission from the copyright owners for any and all copyrighted or trademarked content. The Festival will not be held liable for any unauthorized use of copyrighted or trademarked materials and reserves the right to disqualify any Film for copyright or trademark infringement.
- By submitting a Film to the Festival, the Filmmaker agrees to issue a perpetual license (master license) to allow the Film to be screened at the Festival and to allow the Film to be used by the Festival and the Fatherhood CoMission for promotional purposes. Apart from the above, you will retain full copyright of the Film as its creator.
- Filmmakers must fill out a submission form and all fees must be paid before the deadline for a Film to be eligible for the festival. Submission fees will not be refunded if a Film is disqualified or not selected to be shown at the Festival. The Submission fee is $25.
- All Films must be submitted according to the guidelines listed in Section III: Technical Submission Guidelines and must be submitted by the deadline to qualify.
- Films will be selected based on excellence in their work and alignment with the Festival guidelines and objectives. Selected Films will receive “Official Selection” laurels and will screen at the 2016 Christian Worldview Film Festival. The Film deemed as the best will receive a special “Fatherhood CoMission Award” trophy and a monetary prize of $5000. The Film that places second will receive $2500, the Film the places third will receive $1500, and the Film that places forth will receive $1000.
- Filmmakers may submit multiple Films, however, each Film must be accompanied by its own entrance fee and submission form.
- Once the Films have been reviewed and the selection process is complete, Filmmakers will be notified using the contact information included in the submission form. It is the sole responsibility of the Filmmaker to insure that the Festival has the necessary and correct contact information.
- The Festival is under no obligation to provide feedback on individual Films or on the selection process.
- Films that contain significant non-English dialogue must include English subtitles.
- Filmmakers must sign and mail in the Permission Agreement for the Fatherhood CoMission. (Download the Agreement here)
- We strongly encourage you or a representative of the Film to be in attendance at the Festival to receive any potential awards. Please notify us ahead of time if this is not possible.
Section IV: Technical Submission Guidelines
- Filmmakers must upload a digital copy of their Film to our platform by the deadline for submissions. A file request link will be provided to each Filmmaker upon receipt of your submission application for uploading all files. The file guidelines are below.
- HD Upload Compressed Video Source: QuickTime (MOV, MP4 or M4V – H.264 Mezzanine file at a bitrate of 10Mbps or greater), 23.98 FPS, Progressive (non-interlaced), 16×9: 1920×1080; 4×3: 1440×1080. Please name your file the exact name of your Film. Do not include version numbers or anything other than the title of your Film! (for example: “Name of your Film.mp4”
- SD Upload Compressed Video Source: QuickTime (MOV, MP4 or M4V – H.264 Mezzanine file at a bitrate of 10Mbps or greater), 29.97 FPS, Interlaced, 16×9: 854×480; 4×3: 720×480. Please name your file the exact name of your Film. Do not include version numbers or anything other than the title of your Film! (for example: “Name of your Film.mp4”)
- Filmmakers must provide a screenshot of their Film for use if the Film becomes a official selection. The screenshot is to be uploaded with the Film. Please name your file the exact name of your film (for example: “Name of your Film.jpg”)
- Films should be about 1-3 minutes in length
- Each Film submitted should begin with a black screen (for one second) and then the Film should immediately start without any further delay. Please, do not include any trailers or special introductions.
- Audio should be mastered in stereo sound.
- Receipt of films will be confirmed by e-mail correspondence.
- All entry lengths are calculated from black to black, and must include all opening and closing credits, logos, etc.
- Application fee is non-refundable.
A digital download must be provided by January 30, 2017
Late Submission Deadline:
Registration and a digital download must be provided by February 6, 2017
Submission instructions will be sent via email after registering your film.
$25 (per film)
Late Deadline Submission Fee:
$50 (per film)
Download, sign, and send in the Fatherhood CoMission Permission Agreement.
Download the agreement here.
Please send the signed document to:
Christian Worldview Film Festival
326 Sterling Browning Rd. Suite 222
Hollywood Park, TX 78232